You can make your homecoming dance memorable with what you wear, whether it’s your first or your last. Coordinate your outfits with your date’s tone, style, or colors. Wear an outfit that makes you feel great or coordinate outfits with a group of friends if you’re going solo.
Homecoming Outfit Ideas for Guys
Your homecoming outfit reflects the refined side of your personality. Ideally, it should reflect your personal style in a semi-formal or formal way, and may even relate to your school’s theme for the dance.
It’s hard to go wrong with slacks, a button-down shirt, and a tie. Despite being beyond casual, it doesn’t quite meet expectations for a formal look, so it’s the perfect middle ground for a homecoming dance. Grays, browns, and blues are all considered neutral colors for men’s clothing.
Choose a patterned shirt or monochromatic look in which your tie and pants match, but your shirt contrasts. Wear loafers or dress shoes that match your belt with the outfit. Match your tie or shirt to the main color of your date’s dress.
Suit Without a Tie
For formal events such as prom, a full suit and tie is more appropriate. By ditching the tie, you can tone down this classic dressy look for guys. You should choose a suit with a comfortable fit that does not have any special details, such as coat tails or tuxedo stripes.
Any guy can look great in a clean, standard suit jacket and pants outfit paired with a white, colored or patterned button-down shirt. A clean, fashionable pair of sneakers could add style to this look rather than the obvious dress shoes.
Suspenders and a Bow Tie
Add suspenders and a bow tie to your homecoming outfit if you love hipster style. In order to fit the occasion, you’ll need dress pants and a nice button-down shirt. Choosing suspenders and a bow tie should be done in a matching set meant for formal occasions.
Combine these accessories with your date’s outfit for a coordinating couple’s look.
Sweater With a Tie
You could opt for a sweater over a button-down shirt with nice slacks if your homecoming event is more casual. If you ditch the tie, the look looks more effortless. If you add a patterned tie, it gives the look a fun edge. In contrast to jeans or sweats and a t-shirt, this look is much more formal.
One of the other suggestions is probably a better choice if you wear a uniform on a daily basis.
Tips on What to Wear to Homecoming for Guys
Guys, this is one formal occasion when you’ll want to look just as good as your date! For guys’ homecoming outfits, there are some tried-and-true rules that will help you look your best.
Decide on How Formal You’ll Go
For the most part, it is expected and appreciated when a guy shows up in semi-formal attire for homecoming. However, some schools have restrictions on what is appropriate. Tuxedos and suits are usually reserved for formal occasions such as prom, while pieces of these formal looks can be worn to semi-formal events.
See how formal to dress for your homecoming by finding out what the event is called, formal or semi-formal.
Discuss Dress With Your Date
Ask your date what they’re wearing if you have a date. Matching is usually okay between you two, but don’t go overboard. To create a sophisticated look, coordinate your accessories with your date’s main outfit color.
Be on the Same Level of Glamour
The formality or lack of formality between you and your date should be the same. You may not want to show up in a sports coat if your date is wearing a ball gown. If she’s in a slip dress and you’re in a tuxedo, the reverse is true.
This is one great way to present a united front without saying a word to your date. With your outfit choices, don’t be afraid to show off your collective personality.
Homecoming Outfit Ideas for Girls
Having fun with friends and looking great during homecoming is a great way to celebrate. It’s important to keep your fit in mind when choosing an outfit so that you can move comfortably. A great look will get you immediate attention, but a great fit ensures that you can move freely and have a great time all night long.
For homecoming, many girls choose short dresses instead of a more formal gown like they might wear to prom. You can find cocktail dresses in many different designs and colors and they can be strapless, one-shoulder, or even long-sleeved. Because the dress is short, you can embellish it a lot since it remains semi-formal.
Accessorize the dress with cute heels and blingy accessories if you want it to feel formal enough. Look for laces and silks to ensure it feels formal enough.
Unlike figure skating outfits, skater-style dresses have a more formal appearance. It’s a bit less casual than a cocktail dress, but you can make it look more elegant by choosing jewel tones and elegant fabrics.
Because the neckline is high, your main accessories will be your dress shoes and maybe some fun earrings. Skater dresses are a great compromise if you love the look of cocktail dresses, but value comfort above all else.
The trend for semi-formal separates for girls is on the rise. You can pull off this two-piece look for homecoming by choosing luxurious or formal fabrics and accessorizing with expensive-looking items.
You can achieve this look by wearing a mid-length tulle skirt with a fitted lace or satin shirt. There is also a trend for medium-length or full-length formal skirts paired with long-sleeve satin crop tops. You can achieve the semi-formal look by wearing a bold pattern on one piece of clothing and a solid color on the other.
Gowns that are slimmer and don’t have a lot of beading and bling are great for homecoming. Dresses with some minor beading around the top or bottom are suitable for homecomings that are more formal. Slim gowns come with one sleeve, long sleeves, no sleeves, and strappy sleeves. Choose a style and color that complements your skin tone and body type.
Tips on What to Wear to Homecoming for Girls
Homecoming is one of the few opportunities you have in high school to show off your mature side. The majority of girls will wear super cute outfits, so make yours stand out.
Find a Dress That Flatters You
The outfit that looks the best on you depends on your body type. Learn about the different body types and the types of clothing that fit them best, and then try on different styles.
The problem is that clothing comes in standard sizes while people don’t, so don’t get discouraged if something doesn’t look right. Instead, use this information to determine which styles will make you feel like a bombshell.
Consult Your Date
You can ask your date about his opinion of your outfit if you want him to be left speechless by it. Consider this information and see if you can combine his ideas with yours. In addition, you may want to coordinate with him, so finding out what he prefers in terms of style and formality can help narrow your options from the start.
Try shopping together with your friends if you’re going with a group to avoid picking the same outfit.
Focus on Accessories
It’s really just a backdrop for your accessories and your outfit. Your hairstyle and makeup may even get more attention than your outfit at homecoming. Dress in shoes that match your glamour level, but make sure they’re comfortable for the whole evening.
When your focus is on the dress, it’s easy to get caught up in body issues, so pay attention to your other clothing choices.
Should You Buy or Rent an Outfit?
As a result of technology, there are almost no limits to what you can buy or borrow when it comes to formal or semi-formal attire. No matter what your budget is, everyone deserves to feel good about themselves.
When to Buy
Although you can find semi-formal and formal outfits at any price point, there are times when buying makes more financial sense than renting.
- The separates you purchase can be worn with other items in your wardrobe.
- This item/outfit will be needed again for another occasion with a different guest list.
- The most important thing to you is the style, not the designer or the label.
- You don’t worry about your budget.
- It is difficult to find outfits that fit your body type or clothing style.
When to Rent
You can save money by renting an outfit, but you can also widen your choice of outfits.
- A designer outfit is on your wish list, but you don’t have the budget for it.
- There’s only one time you’ll wear this outfit.
- It’s important for you to have something that no one else in your school has.
- Typically, you do not have a problem with fit.
Where to Shop for Guys
There are basic dress pants, dress shirts, and ties in almost every department store with a men’s or young men’s section. The prices at Kohl’s and Macy’s are both affordable.
- Al’s Formal Wear has multiple homecoming special offers, including an entire outfit rental for under $100 and a suit jacket-less outfit rental for $50. Choosing your outfit elements, scheduling a fitting in their stores, which are located in four states, and picking up your outfit when needed are all part of the process.
- You’ll find a great selection of homecoming outfit pieces at Tuxedo’s Online, from funky ties to standard button-down shirts. The cost of a tie is about $15, while a suit starts at about $100.
- From Men’s Warehouse stores or their website, you can buy or rent whole outfits or pieces. Prices for designer options start at several hundred dollars, while pants start at around $50.
Where to Shop for Girls
During homecoming season, many department stores carry dresses, but specialty stores that only sell formal and semi-formal attire offer a better selection.
- Rent the Runway offers girls the opportunity to rent designer dresses for all kinds of occasions. You can keep the outfit for four days or eight days, then return it for free without having to worry about dry cleaning. There is a minimum price of $30 per dress.
- Despite its name, David’s Bridal offers a large selection of semi-formal and formal outfit options for all occasions, including homecoming. There are both traditional and trendy styles starting at $30.
- In addition to formal attire, shoes, and accessories, Lulus specializes in “affordable” luxury. Modern, chic dresses start at $25, making this retailer truly accessible to all girls.
- Online retailer Forever 21 offers trendy women’s clothes and accessories at reasonable prices. Plus-size clothing is also available. They have appropriate homecoming dresses in their wedding wear department and little black dresses.
Dress Your Party Persona
Even if you are a member of the homecoming court, homecoming attire is often less formal than prom dresses and tuxedos. A cocktail party for adults where the focus is on having fun. Dress in a way that shows your fun side while also showing a bit of formality.